New Online Application System
Instructions for obtaining a Firearms ID Card, Permit to Purchase a Handgun, Permit to Carry a Handgun
Instructions for obtaining a Permit to Purchase a Handgun
1. Complete your application on-line at https://njportal.com/NJSP/FARS
2. Raritan Township Police Department’s ORI number is NJ0102100.
**If an incorrect ORI number is entered on the form, you will NOT receive a firearms ID card or a permit to purchase a handgun. You will then have to re-apply using the correct ORI number and pay for the process again. A refund will NOT be issued.
3. You may utilize either a smartphone, mobile device or computer to complete the process. Once your application is completed the Raritan Township Police Department will be notified and a background check will be conducted.
4. Application fee: $21.00
Initial Firearms Identification Card: $50.00
Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun: $25.00 for each permit
Change of Address, Change of Name, Lost or Stolen ID card: $0
**Either a personal check or money order (payable to: Raritan Township) is needed. Cash or Credit Card will NOT be accepted. Payments to the Raritan Township Police Department must be made before your application can be approved. ** A Firearms ID card does not expire though it must be replaced if you change your address, name or the ID card is lost/stolen or mutilated. Permit(s) to Purchase a Handgun are valid for 90 days from the date of issue. A 90-day extension is automatically applied to the permit. After 180 days, the permit is invalid.
** You will be receiving automated email updates throughout the background process, including when the application has been approved.
** Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to expedite your background application.
** Please ensure that both yourself and your references provide the correct information on the application. If a mistake is made, the application will no longer be able to be processed which you, the applicant, will have to resubmit the firearms application and again pay the required $21.00.
** If you have not been contacted by a representative from the Raritan Township Police Department then your application is still in progress. An applicant DOES NOT need to contact the police department for any updates. If there are any questions or concerns regarding an applicant’s application, a representative will contact the applicant.
** The monetary amounts listed are through the State of New Jersey, not through the Township of Raritan. The payable amounts are all sent to the state and not directed by this department.
Any inquiries on the application process or background investigations may be directed to Detective Sergeant Brian Sutherland.
Instructions for obtaining a Permit to Carry a Handgun
1. The Forms to Download/Requirements for Permit to Carry a Handgun, that must be completed, can be found at https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml
2. Complete your Permit to Carry a Handgun application on-line at https://www.njportal.com/njsp/concealedcarry
3. One Proof of Citizenship and One Proof of Ownership of Handgun to be Carried must be uploaded to the Permit to Carry a Handgun application or dropped off at Raritan Township Police Department
a. Proof of Citizenship
(1) Birth Certificate
b. Proof of Ownership of a Handgun to be Carried
(1) Receipt of handgun
(2) Executed permit
(3) Affidavit proving ownership
4. Payment for Permit to Carry a Handgun application must be by check or money order and made out to Raritan Township, in the amount of $150. Cash or Credit Card will NOT be accepted.
Any further questions can be directed to Detective Sergeant Brian Sutherland at (908)-782-8889 or email@example.com